Graduate Center Library
Deadline to submit: Friday, October 11th, 2019, 11:59pm
Optional Info Sessions:
Thursday, 10/3 – 12pm-1pm – RSVP here
Wednesday, 10/9 – 4pm-5pm – RSVP here
Spring 2020 Open Pedagogy Fellowships
The Library seeks applications for up to 13 Open Pedagogy Fellows for the Spring 2020 semester, each carrying a $2000 stipend. The Fellowship experience will enhance participants’ understanding of open pedagogy and their ability to employ elements of open pedagogy in their teaching. Throughout the Fellowship, a variety of concepts relating to open pedagogy will be introduced, including but not limited to: evaluating, supplementing, and teaching with Open Educational Resources (OER), integrating zero-cost course materials, and licensing, copyright, and fair use as it pertains to OER.
What happens during the fellowship?
- Fellows are required to attend and participate in two events:
- Four-day (10am-4pm) OER Boot Camp: (Jan 9, 10, 13, and 14) for an intensive introduction to open pedagogy, as well as advisement on the syllabus-conversion project described below.
- Open Pedagogy Symposium: (Friday, April 24, 2020) All fellows must attend, and a select few will have the opportunity to present their work during the Fellowship.
- Syllabus Conversion Project:
- Fellows will create an OER / zero-cost syllabus to replace an existing syllabus for a course that will be taught in Spring 2020 – or – that was previously taught in Fall 2019 and is expected to be taught again.
- Fellows will post their converted syllabus to the CUNY Academic Works institutional repository.
- OER Scholarly Engagement:
- Fellows will submit at least one edited short written reflection on the experience of converting a traditional syllabus into an OER / zero-cost syllabus, and on the pedagogical opportunities afforded by the converted syllabus to be posted on the GC Library blog.
- Fellows will have the opportunity to create a presentation or poster for the Open Pedagogy Symposium in April.
- Fellows will meet with a librarian during the semester for continued advisement.
Who is Eligible to apply?
Graduate Center doctoral or masters’ students who will be adjunct faculty to CUNY undergraduate students in Spring 2020 are eligible to apply. Additional eligibility will be afforded to students who have taught a course in the 2018-2019 school year that they anticipate will be taught again. Preference will be given to adjuncts who will be able to teach in Spring 2020 using the OER / zero-cost syllabus they create, but all doctoral student adjuncts will be considered.
- Submission Deadline: Friday, October 11th, 2019 – 11:59pm
- Notification of accepted fellows: Monday, October 21st, 2019
- Four-day OER Boot Camp at the Graduate Center (24 hours)
- Thursday, January 9th – 10am to 4pm
- Friday, January 10th – 10am to 4pm
- Monday, January 13th – 10am to 4pm
- Tuesday, January 14th – 10am to 4pm
- Throughout the Spring 2020 semester (29 hours)
- Creation of OER / zero-cost syllabus
- Implementation of OER / zero-cost syllabus (where applicable)
- One-on-one support from liaison librarian on the syllabus conversion
- Submission of at least one short reflective essay on their syllabus conversion
- Open Pedagogy Symposium at the Graduate Center (6 hours) Friday, April 24, 2020
Submit your application
– Completed application form
– Course syllabus
– CV or resume
- For questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to:
Elvis Bakaitis, Adjunct Reference Librarian – firstname.lastname@example.org
Emily Drabinski, Critical Pedagogy Librarian – email@example.com
Shawn(ta) Smith-Cruz, Head of Reference – firstname.lastname@example.org